Muzejski trg 1
Opening hours: from April 15. till November 1.
every day 10.00-17.00
Additional information: +386 2 787 92 41
-> gallery viewThe first beggar's monastic order to settle in the area of Ptuj and on the territory of today's Slovenia was the order of the Dominicans. In 1230, Methildis, the widow of Friedrich III, donated to the Dominican monks some land at the western part of the town and under the Castle Hill. Only a year later, the Dominicans from the town of Breže, Carinthia, came to live in the partly established monastery.
In the first building period, the monastery was built in two-storeys only. The monastery is especially known for its cloisters of the south and more prominent east wings.
In 1302, the monastery burnt down, and its renovation lasted until the middle of the 14th century. During the same period, the west part of the cloister was built and its east wall painted. Reconstruction and renovation works went on even in the 15th and 16th centuries.
In the 17th century, the monastery was subject to the Baroque arrangements. The east part of the church façade, facing the town, was covered at the beginning of the 18th century with rich stucco work and adorned with statues. The monastery refectory was equally influenced with Baroque elements, and its vault was covered with stucco works and paintings.
The monks were involved in economy, education, preaching, and spiritual life, and they lived there until 1785, when the monastery was suppressed at the time of Josephinian reforms. In 1926 the monastery was bought by the municipality of Ptuj, and in 1928 the Town Museum was opened there.